Here's a Quick Look at the 2020 Pender Island Pride Rainbow Convoy...
making a difference on our islands...
...to support the Pender Island LGBTQ2S+ population by:
- Organizing and hosting Pride events on Pender Island.
- Supporting social justice and equality initiatives locally and beyond.
- Building social and support networks within the LGBTQ2S+ community and fostering positive connections and relationships with the broader population.
- Helping LGBTQ2S+ youth to achieve their full and authentic potential by supporting community- and school-based initiatives and programs that create a safe environment for them to flourish in.
Pender Island Pride is a grass-roots, volunteer-driven community organization.
The Pender Island Pride Committee is a core group of volunteers who plan, organize, and host the various events and projects we undertake.
This is accomplished with the help of a larger pool of volunteers who get involved to help with specific tasks as needed.
In April 2020, Pender Island Pride Society was incorporated as a BC non-profit society in order to empower the Pride Committee by providing a base of administrative and communications support, as well as accountability to our community, and credentials for partnerships and interactions with other organizations, etc. The society is managed by a Board of Directors, all of whom also serve on the Pride Committee.
make it all possible
We wouldn't be able to do what we do without the kind and generous support of our sponsors.
Supporting Pender Island Pride is a great way to:
- show your support for equality, human-rights, and social justice.
- build a vibrant and dynamic community.
- make a huge difference in the lives of individuals.
- empower the Pender Island Pride Committee to continue making a positive impact on our island.
- generate local economic spin-off from the events and projects during the Pride Festival and throughout the year.
Pender Island Pride Society is a member of:
MORE THAN JUST A PARTY!
Pride celebrations may seem like a lot of fun and frivolity, but they are so much more. Pride marches began as protests, demanding an end to systemic discrimination, violence, and hatred towards LGBTQ2S+ people.
After decades of struggle, we celebrate progress towards equality and human rights protections. Pride events are an important part of remaining vigilant that hard-won rights are not stolen away again.
Despite the advances in our society, there is still far to go before all people are free to live authentic lives, safe from stigma, bigotry, out-dated social values, and harmful ideologies. Pride events are crucial to projecting a message of support and inclusivity in our community and continuing to bring awareness of those injustices that still remain.
Without positive role models and public expressions of Pride, LGBTQ2S+ people, especially youth, can feel oppressed, fearful, or isolated. This can result in people making unhealthy choices as coping mechanisms, and not living up to their true potential. Small and remote communities without direct access to the services and resources available in urban centres can be especially susceptible to these circumstances.
Pride literally saves lives and makes the world a better place for everyone!
Because the values of Pride are important all year round, on-going projects and events are either underway or being planned. Let us know if you would like to get involved!